With the field of neuroimmunology expanding year on year, we wanted to take a deeper look at some of the recent milestones in this area and explore where the field could go next. Over this 2-month Spotlight, we’ll bring together neuroimmunology news, articles from our partnered journals as well as MEDLINE-indexed journal Immunotherapy, plus exclusive interviews and opinions from leaders in the field. We’ll look at the history of neuroimmunology, explore new uses for the immune system in targeting nervous system cancers, multiple sclerosis and neurodegenerative disease, and look ahead at the future of this ever-expanding field.
Below you can find all the content associated with this Spotlight – we’ll be adding to it frequently, so be sure to keep checking back. You can also follow the latest Spotlight content by searching #NCneuroimmunology on Twitter and following us at @neuro_central.
You can find the rest of our Spotlights here.
Exclusive interviews, reviews and opinions
- NCTalks with Robyn Klein: immunology and inflammation in neurological disease
- Neuroimmunology and multiple sclerosis: an interview with Katerina Akassoglou
- Immune-brain relationships: new paradigms in searching for treatments for neurodegenerative disease? – Opinion piece from Michal Schwartz
- Autoantibodies in neurological disorders
- Immunotherapy for mild cognitive impairment patients: a role for omega-3 fatty acids in improving innate immunity against amyloid-beta
- David Vigerust: trauma, neuroinflammation and oncogenesis
- Journal Watch: aducanumab reduces amyloid aggregates and hints at cognitive benefit in a Phase Ib clinical trial
- Uncovering the role of the immune system in dementia with Lewy bodies: Jay Amin
- Journal Watch: Biomarkers of the innate immune system predict progression to Alzheimer’s disease
- Ischemic, traumatic and neurodegenerative brain inflammatory changes
- CNS autoimmune disease after Streptococcus pyogenes infections: animal models, cellular mechanisms and genetic factors
- Transcriptional regulation in microglia and neuropathic pain
- The role of the immune system in neurofibromatosis type 1-associated nervous system tumors
- Immunoliposomes doubly targeted to transferrin receptor and to α-synuclein
- Checkpoint inhibition in meningiomas
- Cytomegalovirus-targeted immunotherapy and glioblastoma: hype or hope?
- Pathological characterization of nivolumab-related liver injury in a patient with glioblastoma
- Novel vaccines for glioblastoma: clinical update and perspective
- Elucidating the link between the modifiable risk factors of Alzheimer’s disease and neuroinflammation
- HLA genes as modifiers of response to IFN-β-1a therapy in relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis
- Neuroinflammation: a precursor and promoter of oncogenesis
- Adoptive immunotherapy for the treatment of glioblastoma: progress and possibilities
Recent neuroimmunology headlines
- Chronic fatigue syndrome linked with dysfunctional immune system
- Potential new link between Zika and autoimmune neurologic disorders
- Targeting microglia proliferation to treat neuropathic pain
- Vitamin D exhibits beneficial immunomodulatory effects in patients with multiple sclerosis
- Antibody show promise against multiple sclerosis
- Newly identified serum biomarker could improve diagnosis of neuroinflammation
- Could dopamine agonists be repurposed to control the immune system?
- Alzheimer’s antibody trial: is a new treatment in sight?
- Novel immunotherapy successful in reducing tumor size in high-risk neuroblastoma patients
- Amyloid plaques may be key players in the immune system
- PD-1 blockers could promote immune response in Alzheimer’s disease
- Successful autoantigen–coupling in mouse model may aid in the treatment of multiple sclerosis
- Alemtuzumab shows strong results in 10 year follow-up
You can find the rest of our Spotlights here