Stroke Administrative Severity Index: using administrative data for 30-day poststroke outcomes prediction

Written by Annie N Simpson , Janina Wilmskoetter , Ickpyo Hong et al.

AIM: Current stroke severity scales cannot be used for archival data. We develop and validate a measure of stroke severity at hospital discharge (Stroke Administrative Severity Index [SASI]) for use in billing data. METHODS: We used the NIH Stroke Scale (NIHSS) as the theoretical framework and identified 285 relevant International Classification of Diseases, 9th Revision diagnosis and procedure codes, grouping them into 23 indicator variables using cluster analysis. A 60% sample of stroke patients in Medicare data were used for modeling risk of 30-day postdischarge mortality or discharge to hospice, with validation performed on the remaining 40% and on data...

To view the full article, please register now for access

It's completely free